Moving can be a hassle no matter how well prepared you are. However, keeping to a schedule and giving yourself enough time to complete necessary steps will help you out throughout the entire process. Our professional and reliable moving company is here to help you with tips to ensure that nothing is missed and steps aren’t skipped.
Two Months Before
After initially deciding to move, it’s time to get organized.
- Begin by looking through all of your belongings and decide what is necessary to keep and if there is anything to donate. Clothing that hasn’t been worn, sporting goods that haven’t been used, or clutter that has added up can be sorted through. Organize a moving sale if there are enough items that you are not keeping.
- Research local movers and start consider scheduling a move sooner rather than later to ensure movers are available. Look into getting an onsite moving quote to better adjust your budget.
- Keep a folder or binder with all of your moving information and documents. Keep moving quotes, receipts, checklists, and inventories of what is being moved on file to keep yourself organized.
- Obtain school and medical records for children, and obtain a copy of medical files for pets as well. Research what the process of transferring school age kids to another school entails.
Six Weeks Before
Still too early to start packing, but don’t forget to keep up with your plans and schedule.
- Start shopping for packing supplies, or order necessary items. Stop by local grocery stores and ask for boxes that can be used for moving. Shop for plenty of packaging tape, bubble wrap, and a couple of markers to label all of your boxes. If your moving company doesn’t provide wardrobe boxes, shop for or order these.
- Start thinking about what food you have on hand and how much time it will take to use up these items. Cleaning supplies as well are more difficult to move, so try to use these up before the move, if possible.
- If you already have a location you are moving to, take measurements of furniture, including tables and couches to ensure they will fit in your new space and through the doors.
One Month Before
- If you haven’t already done so, make a decision on which moving company you want to hire and reserve a date.
- Begin packing! Start with items that are used less frequently. Make a list of more valuable items that you want to insure.
- Pack heavier items in smaller boxes and lighter items in larger boxes.
Two Weeks Before
- If you are moving locally and remaining at your current job, request time off for any days that you may need.
- Update all of your accounts with your new address and submit a change of address with the post office.
One Week Before
- Finish up packing. Still be sure to keep out anything you need for the final days. Everything else can be safely wrapped up.
- Defrost the freezer and begin cleaning rooms that have been cleared out.
- Reconfirm with the moving company the date and the time of the move.
- Provide entertainment for children and treats or toys for pets.
- Double check your inventory and go through each room to ensure that nothing is left behind.
For trustworthy and reliable local movers, contact RE Movers AZ. We strive to make your move as easy and stress-free as possible. Call us today for a free moving quote!